My initial Mother's Day plan was to do as little as humanly possible. But then after eating a delicious breakfast made by my insanely handsome husband he asked me if I wanted to head out adventuring and cross off something from our 2018 bucket list. I couldn't resist and adventure with my 3 people. So we grabbed waters, snacks and jumped in the Land Cruiser.
On our way to our ultimate destination we made a stop at the Salton Sea Visitors Center. We have been to the Salton Sea before but never to this part.
So some fun facts....
- The Salton Sea is not a sea despite its mega saltiness. It is legit 25% salty than the ocean
- It is actually the largest lake in California at 375 square miles.
- Water can't run out of the Salton Sea so it just kinda sits there hence the algae and smell issues.
- A lot of the "sand" on the shore is really barnacles.
- Despite the fact that the Salton Sea was completely empty of people on a gorgeous Saturday afternoon, you can fish and boat there.
- Because of the mega saltiness and the low altitude (it's over 200 feet BELOW sea level) boats can go faster than normal.
- There is a fantastic documentary about the Salton Sea called Plagues and Pleasures of the Salton Sea and it is narrated by none other than John Waters. Yes that little mustache dude!
- Dead fish are super common to see on the shores.
It's such a shame that the water is just not suitable for swimming and quite frankly it doesn't smell to pleasant out there. This was once a great water sport destination and would be awesome to see if resurrect itself .
But Joey, the girls and I had a great time exploring.
Post a Comment